This topic of a non-toxic lifestyle is the whole reason I started a blog in the first place. I am very passionate about it. I truly feel it is something that you must feel a drive for to implement into your own life. It isn’t easy. There are friends, family, co-workers who will look at you like you have three heads when you start talking about how you gave up fabric softener or windex.
But I am here to tell you it is so worth it.
I have been implementing a non-toxic lifestyle for the last 6 months and have seen a huge change in my life. The biggest of which is in my headaches. I have suffered from chronic headaches and migraines since I was 15. Since cutting out many chemicals in my life I have noticed a steep drop in the amount of headache days I have a month. On top of an overall feeling of being lighter, less weighed down and like my body is functioning properly.
If you truly want to feel better and live for the long term health than a natural non-toxic life is the way to go.
Let’s get into how to start...
- Start small. Start in your bathroom, or your kitchen. These areas of your life that will most likely contain a lot of harmful chemicals. I will be making a future post about what chemicals to look out for. Try just swapping out all the hand soap in your house with Castile soap. Then move on to your dish soap, then laundry soap, then body wash…can you tell I love soap? These small changes overtime amount to a world of change within your home.
- Choose products with short ingredient lists. The shorter the ingredient list the more chances the product will have more recognizable non-chemical ingredients. If you don’t know or can not say what a certain ingredient is… look for an alternative product.
- Cut out Fragrance. I am a recovering Bath & Body Works addict. I loved candles, air fresheners, and perfumes. However, I always had this nagging feeling they were not good for me. It was that burning feeling I would get in the back of my throat or the headache I would get. I should have listened to my body sooner. Try swapping for natural alternatives that add scent with essential oils.
- Cut out artificial sweeteners. Cutting out aspartame and sucralose are key to living a toxic lifestyle. Sucralose was originally created to be an insecticide! These things were never meant for consumption and have been linked to increased risks of cancer. I prefer organic cane sugar to any other sweetener.
- It’s a process. That is the most important thing to realize. I do not condone throwing away all the chemicals in your life all at once, that is too overwhelming. Rather start with one area of your household and life, make natural swaps, then move on to the next area. There are always ways to keep improving and more information to know so don’t beat yourself up. This is a life long process, we are all still figuring it out.